Vision & About
The Interdisciplinary Centre for Digital Business Development conducts research focused on the combination of cutting-edge digital technologies and business development.
We do so by engaging in national and international projects in order to examine and develop our knowledge and understanding of how private and public companies plan and design, conduct, implement and evaluate digital transformation and sustainable, digital business development.
Thus, our vision is reflected in all of the Centre’s project engagements and collaborations with companies, universities, municipalities and society in helping to shape a more sustainable, digital future.
The vision of the Interdisciplinary Centre for Digital Business Development:
To promote interdisciplinary international research on applying cutting-edge digital technologies
in connection with business development in an agile and sustainable way.
This platform is dedicated to disseminating our research and sharing the outcome of our projects in terms of knowledge, training and tools to inspire and assist our collaborators and society with sustainable, digital business development.
The data and knowledge derived from the Centre’s research and projects are made available to companies, lecturers and students through:
- Training workshops for public and private companies on digital business development. These are based on a toolbox that provides support to identify, implement and evaluate business models and through inspirational case studies on how various companies from different industries have successfully performed digital business development
- Teaching on bachelor and master level courses, where business development, business model innovation and technology-based business development are core topics. By leveraging our research and project collaborations in teaching, the students benefit from the latest knowledge and relevant case studies.
- Laboratory facilities that showcase and demonstrate digital business models in action. Our PROTO* Lab and DIGI Lab bring technology and business development into a physical space, to facilitate learning about new digital business models and state-of-the-art technologies.
- Dissemination in terms of scientific publications, newspaper articles, conference talks, presentations, podcasts and film productions etc. that allow us to share key findings, learnings and best practices within digital business development.
For further information about the Interdisciplinary Centre for Digital Business Development, please visit our official Aarhus University website.
The Research Team
The Interdisciplinary Centre for Digital Business Development hosts a team of dedicated and ambitious employees, who are brought together by a collective desire to promote interdisciplinary research in the areas of cutting-edge digital technologies and business development. Our team consists of business social science and engineering researchers with a wide variety of academic backgrounds, experiences and nationalities that provides the foundation for our interdisciplinary research.
Below, the research team of the Centre is presented:
To find contact information on the research team, please visit our official Aarhus University website.
The main research topics of the Centre address business model development through cutting-edge digital technologies, emphasizing both the strategic, managerial, organisational and technological aspects.
We use our projects to progress our research, as it allows us to collaborate across sectors and locally, nationally and internationally, and to explore business models in different contexts and under various conditions such as digital transformations, sustainability transitions, ecosystem constellations, technology interventions, among other. Therefore, Our research is therefore 80 pct. funded through projects.
The methods of our research include case study research, participatory research, document study, observational studies, evidence-based business development and business experimentation. Through our research, we aim to publish peer-reviewed and high-impact academic research in the most prominent scientific journals within our research area.
Below, the latest research publications of the Centre is presented:
- Grooss, O. F., Presser, M. & Tambo, T. (2022). Balancing Digital Maturity and Operational Performance – Progressing in a Low-digital SME Manufacturing Setting. Procedia Computer Science, 200, 495-504.
- Dabrowska, J., Almpanopoulou, A., Brem, A., Chesbrough, H., Cucino, V., Di Minin, A., Giones, F., Hakala, H., Marullo, C., Mention, A-L., Mortara, L., Nørskov, S., Nylund, P., Oddo, C., Radziwon, A. & Ritala, P. (2022). Digital transformation, for better or worse: a critical multi-level research agenda. R&D Management, 52(5), 930-954.
- Radziwon, A., Bogers, M., Chesbrough, H. & Minssen, T. (2022). Ecosystem effectuation: Creating new value through open innovation during a pandemic. R&D Management, 52(2), 376-390.
- Cobben, D., Ooms, W., Roijakkers, N. & Radziwon, A. (2022). Ecosystem types: A systematic review of boundaries and goals. Journal of Business Research, 142, 138-164.
- Aagaard, A. & Rezac, F. (2022). Governing the interplay of inter-organizational relationship mechanisms in open innovation projects across ecosystems. Industrial Marketing Management. 105, 131-146.
- González-Vidal, A., Skarmeta, A., Presser, M., Tonna, M. C., Noya, M. & Gibello, P. Y. (2022). NGI Search: The need for trust and privacy in search, discovery and indexing. Paper presented at 4th International Open Search Symposium, Geneva, Switzerland.
- George, B., Hansen, J. R. & Pop, M. (2022). Strategizing for Grand Challenges: Propositions on Public-Private Differences and Collaboration. Paper presented at The Transatlantic Dialogue (TAD).
- Rezac, F. (2022). The Role of Privacy Protection in Business Models for Sustainability: A Conceptual Integration from an Ecosystem Perspective. Journal of Business Models, 10(2), 31-57.
- Radziwon, A. & Chesbrough, H. (2021). Building the infrastructure for data sovereignty – Open Data Standard Innovation Case Study. Presented atthe 22nd CINET Conference Continuous Innovation Network.
- Aagaard, A., Lüdeke-Freund, F., & Wells, P. (2021). Business Models for Sustainability Transitions. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Aagaard, A., Presser, M., Collins, T., Beliatis, M., Skou, A.K., Jakobsen, E.M. (2021). The Role of Digital Maturity Assessment in Technology Interventions with Industrial Internet Playground. Electronics, 10(10), 1134.
- Brasen, L. P. H., Grooss, O. F. & Tambo, T. (2021). Comparison between data maturity and maintenance strategy: A case study. Procedia CIRP, 104, 1918-1923.
- Aagaard, A., Saari, U. A., & Mäkinen, S. J. (2021). Mapping the types of business experimentation in creating sustainable value: A case study of cleantech start-ups. Journal of Cleaner Production, 123182.
- Beliatis, M. J., Jensen, K., Ellegaard, L., Aagaard, A. & Presser, M. (2021). Next Generation Industrial IoT Digitalization for Traceability in Metal Manufacturing Industry: A Case Study of Industry 4.0. Electronics, 10(5), 628.
- Hansen, J. R., Pop, M., Skov, M. & George, B. (2021). Open strategy in public organizations: Bridging New Public Governance and Strategic Research. Paper presented at IRSPM Conference – Public Management, Governance and Policy in Extraordinary Times: Challenges and Opportunities.
- Hansen, J. R., Pop, M., Jensen, M. S. & George, B. (2021). Open strategy in public organizations: Bridging New Public Governance and Strategic Research. Paper presented at European Group for Public Administration.
- Singh, P., Acharya, K., Beliatis, M. & Presser, M. (2021). Semantic Search System for Real Time Occupancy. Presented at the International Conference on Internet of Things and Intelligence Systems (IoTaIS). 49-55. IEEE.
- Acharya, K. & Pop, M. (2021). Tactical Acts from Lockdown Homes. Strategic Design Research Journal, 14(1), 312-326.
- Aagaard, A., & Nielsen, C. (2021). The Fifth Stage of Business Model Research: The Role of Business Models in Times of Uncertainty. Journal of Business Models, 9(1).
Are you interested in digital business development and want to be updated in real-time on the latest transformation tools,
research insights, collaboration opportunities and much more?
Click here to connect with the Interdisciplinary Centre for Digital Business Development on LinkedIn!