Conferences & Events
To Sep. 2021
Registration is open now! The IoT Week 2021 conference will welcome the industry leaders, lead researchers and public service representatives from around the world to share their views on how technology can serve society better for a sustainable future.
To Dec. 2021
Sign up for our 'Digital Business Development community' to be sure that you will not miss any future conferences and events. All community members get notified of new events.
To Jun. 2021
1st Open Call is closed! Do not miss out on the 2nd Open Call and the opportunity to collect funding for your ambition as a Next Generation Internet Architect. NGI Pointer funds topics openly, driven by an ambition of changing the Internet and Web with European Values at the core.
Main research topics of the Centre addresses business model innovation and sustainability through cutting-edge digital technologies – emphasizing both the strategic, managerial, organisational and the technology aspects of digital and sustainable business development. To progress our research, we aim to collaborate cross sector and locally, nationally and internationally.
The methods of our research include case study research, participatory research, document study, observational studies, evidence-based business development and business experimentation through implementation and evaluation.
Our research is 80 pct. funded by Horizon2020 and national projects and rely on the primary KPI’s: high score teaching evaluations, well-managed projects with strong deliverables and dissemination, timely completion of high-quality PhD theses and article publication in highly recognized international journals and conferences.
Research sneak peek
Below, you can have a sneak peek into a selection of research conducted by members of the Interdisciplinary Centre for Digital Business Development:
- Aagaard, A., Lüdeke-Freund, F., & Wells, P. (2021). Business Models for Sustainability Transitions. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Aagaard, A., Presser, M., Collins, T., Beliatis, M., Skou, A.K., Jakobsen, E.M. (2021). The Role of Digital Maturity Assessment in Technology Interventions with Industrial Internet Playground. Electronics, 10(10), 1134.
- Aagaard, A., & Nielsen, C. (2021). The Fifth Stage of Business Model Research: The Role of Business Models in Times of Uncertainty. Journal of Business Models, 9(1).
- Aagaard, A., Saari, U. A., & Mäkinen, S. J. (2021). Mapping the types of business experimentation in creating sustainable value: A case study of cleantech start-ups. Journal of Cleaner Production, 123182.
- Beliatis, M. J., Jensen, K., Ellegaard, L., Aagaard, A. & Presser, M. (2021). Next generation industrial IoT digitalization for traceability in metal manufacturing industry: A case study of industry 4.0. Electronics, 10(5), 1-14.
- Aagaard, A. & Gassmann, O. (2020). Value co-creation across digital ecosystems: A multiple case study. Paper presented at Continuous Innovation Network Conference 2020, Milan, Italy.
- Aagaard, A. & Ritzén, S. (2020). The critical aspects of co‐creating and co‐capturing sustainable value in service business models. Creativity and Innovation Management, 29(2), 292-302.
- Rezac, F. (2020) Addressing Conceptual Randomness in IoT-Driven Business Ecosystem Research. Sensors, 20, 5842.
- Aagaard, A., Presser, M., Beliatis, M., Mansour, H. & Nagy, S. (2019). A Tool for Internet of Things Digital Business Model Innovation. Paper presented at IEEE Globecom Workshops 2018, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
If you want to access further selected, peer reviewed and high impact academic research publications on digital business development, you can see the full list of publications here.
Preferred scientific journals and conferences
At the Centre, we aim to publish research in the most prominent scientific journals within our research area. Our preferred scientific journals include Journal of Product Innovation Management, Research Policy, Long Range Planning, MIT Sloan Management, Journal of Management Decision, California Management Review, Creativity and Innovation Management, International Journal of Technology Management, IEEE Communications Magazine, Journal of Cleaner Production, Scandinavian Journal of Management and R&D Management.
Furthermore, we aim to participate in pioneering and educative scientific conferences within our research area. Our preferred scientific conferences include IEEE IoT WF Workshop on IoT Business Model Innovation, IEEE International Conference on Big Data, IEEE Global IoT Summit (on the BFI list), Academy of Management Annual Meetings Conference, CINet Continuous Innovation Network Conference, European Academy of Management Conference (on the BFI list), R&D Management Conference, IPDMC International Product Development Management Conference and ISPIM Innovation Conference.
Business Model Innovation
Below, a selection of peer reviewed and high impact academic research publications on digital business development, digital transformation, IoT and data driven business models is presented:
- Achtenhagen, L., Melin, L. & Naldi, L. 2013. Dynamics of business models—strategizing, critical capabilities and activities for sustained value creation. Long Range Planning, 46, 427-442.
- Battistella, C., De Toni, A. F., De Zan, G. & Pessot, E. 2017. Cultivating business model agility through focused capabilities: A multiple case study. Journal of Business Research, 73, 65-82.
- Bock, A. J., Opsahl, T., George, G. & Gann, D. M. 2012. The effects of culture and structure on strategic flexibility during business model innovation. Journal of Management Studies, 49, 279-305.
- Bucherer, E., Eisert, U., Gassmann, O. 2012. Towards systematic business model innovation: Lessons from product innovation management. Creativity and Innovation Management, 21, 183-198.
- Chesbrough, H. & Rosenbloom, R. S. 2002. The role of the business model in capturing value from innovation: Evidence from Xerox Corporation’s technology spin‐off companies. Industrial and Corporate Change, 11, 529-555.
- Demil, B., Lecocq, X., Ricart, J. E. & Zott, C. 2015. Introduction to the SEJ Special Issue on Business Models: Business models within the domain of strategic entrepreneurship. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 9, 1-11.
- Foss, N. J. & Saebi, T. 2017. Fifteen years of research on business model innovation: How far have we come, and where should we go? Journal of Management, 43, 200-227.
- Frankenberger, K., Weiblen, T., Csik, M. & Gassmann, O. 2013. The 4I framework of business model innovation: A structured view on process phases and challenges. International Journal of Product Development, 18, 249-273.
- Li, F. 2018. The digital transformation of business models in the creative industries: A holistic framework and emerging trends. Technovation, 92, 102012.
- Magretta, J. 2002. Why business models matter. Harvard Business Review, r0205f.
- Morris, M., Schindehutte, M. & Allen, J. 2005. The entrepreneur’s business model: Toward a unified perspective. Journal of Business Research, 58, 726-735.
- Remane, G., Hanelt, A., Nickerson, R. C. & Kolbe, L. M. 2017. Discovering digital business models in traditional industries. Journal of Business Strategy, 38, 41-51.
- Saebi, T., Lien, L. & Foss, N. J. 2017. What drives business model adaptation? The impact of opportunities, threats and strategic orientation. Long Range Planning, 50, 567-581.
- Teece, D. J. 2010. Business models, business strategy and innovation. Long Range Planning, 43, 172-194.
- Velu, C. & Stiles, P. 2013. Managing decision-making and cannibalization for parallel business models. Long Range Planning, 46, 443-458.
- Wirtz, B. W., Schilke, O. & Ullrich, S. 2010. Strategic development of business models implications of the Web 2.0 for creating value on the Internet. Long Range Planning, 43, 272-290.
- Zott, C. & Amit, R. 2013. The business model: A theoretically anchored robust construct for strategic analysis. Strategic Organization, 11, 403-411.